Monday, August 20, 2012

Steelhead 70.3 Ironman - Results



I competed in the Steelhead70.3 Ironman on Sunday. On the third mile of the run segment I passed Bob Scott. I was actually six minutes ahead of Bob when we came out of the water, and even though he was ten minutes faster than me on the bike, I caught him on the run and never looked back. I finished with a time of six hours, fourteen minutes and twenty-nine seconds. Bob finished in 6:26:38.


In triathlons they mark our ages on the back of our legs. I noticed when I passed Bob that his number was 82. I think I did pretty good given that Bob is obviously much more experienced than me.

It was a perfect day – the water was smooth, the temperatures were in the low 70s with no significant wind. No hills either.

I didn’t achieve my goal of six hours. My swim time for the 1.2 miles was 44 minutes (a little slower than I hoped for), my bike time for the 56 miles was 3 hours (18.6 mph), which was my goal, but my run time was 2 hours 18 minutes, which was thirteen minutes above my goal – a 10:33 pace instead of the hoped for 9:30 pace. No equipment or logistical screw-ups, just didn’t have the energy to push the run as much as I would have liked.

I finished 7th in my age group out of 18. Bob finished first in his age group.





No comments: